I’ll admit it, I’ve been sucked right into this bar cart trend.
When I mentioned how much I wanted a bar cart to my husband, he asked if we were having a 1970s cocktail party anytime soon. Well bring on the prawn cocktails and flares buddy, because bar carts are back. I flippin love them! Also, a 70’s theme cocktail party sounds awesome, so I’m off to pinterest the hell outta that one.
Anyway, I’ve been swooning over these beauties:
1// Atkin and Thyme
2// West Elm
With price tags way out of my league, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands.
Any excuse for a trip to Ikea and a DIY project to work on, right?
I have made my own DIY version for less than £25 and it has turned out rather fabulously, in my opinion. It was so simple to make too.
Fancy making your own? Of course you do!
Here’s what you need:
- Ikeas Draagan trolley
- Marble Contact paper (I used d-c-fix® Sticky Back Plastic *)
- Copper Spray Paint (I used 400ml Elegant Metallic Copper *)
- Craft knife (scissors will do if you don’t have one)
- Spray the trolley poles with the spray paint of your choice and allow to dry for at least 30 minutes before respraying for an even finish. 2-3 coats on each side should do it, just ensure they don’t stick to surface you are spraying on. You can spray paint the castors too if you like.
- Measure and cut out 3x rectangles of marble contact paper large enough to cover the shelves and fold over the sides by half a cm.
- Carefully apply the contact paper to the shelf, smoothing out any air bubbles with a ruler and folding the paper over the edges. At the corners, snip away any excess contact paper and fold neatly.
- Once the poles are dry ensemble as per the instructions and woohoo, you have yourself a bar cart! Now you just need to sort out your cocktail party invites.
There are so many brilliant uses for it too: Make up storage, desk tidy, kids craft trolley, bathroom toiletries storage, Coffee station. So many possibilities! Check back later this month for my post on 3 ways to style a bar cart.
Supplies I used:
My portable cocktail bar is now open! I’ll just be over here sipping a Mojito or ten.
What’s you favourite cocktail? Let me know in the comments below.
Links with * next to them are affiliate links. Meaning that I provide links to products which I genuinely recommend and if you happen to make a purchase, then I may gain a small commission (at no extra cost to you). You get a handy link to the product you’re after and I get a few pennies to put towards running this awesome blog, so win-win!
Why not pin this for later?